View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #49
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

I haven't watched TV in years (8 or so), don't regret it. I see some people are looking to go this route, here's my thoughts.

To anyone contemplating doing this here's something to think about, bandwidth. Does your provider have a bandwidth cap? What is it? Is that really enough should you use only streaming services.

Right now instead of TV I'm having a 50/10 business line installed without a bandwidth cap. That should run around $100-$125 a month, this depends on your modem handling it or needing them to provide you one and if you get any kind of incentives to switch over. I think the best they offer is usually $10 off your bill each month with a 3 year contract.

Basic cable internet with caps won't support a family (or 3+ people) using streaming services all month, usually there is a fee attached to extra bandwidth use. Also several users streaming can put a decent hurting on your internet speeds and a business line is unaffected by multiple users streaming.

Check what options are available, make sure if you have any kind of bandwidth cap it is over 500GB a month. If it's just you, 300gb or so might be enough but typically the monthly fees for extra bandwidth run you more than a better service plan would should you go over.

EDIT last I remember being told netflix streaming is around 1-2 gigs of bandwidth per hour.