View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #24
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally, the BIG GREEN EGG IS SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE!!

Egg was picked up today!!

Got the box back to the house this evening and spent some time putting together the stand and the egg itself. It's all ready to rock! Afterwards I went out and picked up a cover for it, a few bags of wood chunks (hickory, oak, and cherry), and a 9lb bone in pork shoulder.

I put the rub together once I got home and everything thing is ready to go. My meat thermometer should arrive tomorrow in the mail. I'm going to prep the shoulder, put the rub on it and wrap it in plastic tomorrow night and let it sit in the fridge until Friday evening when I start the egg up for the first time. I'll be sure to take and post some pictures of the process for everyone! Here's to hoping my first cook comes out ok!

SmokinGator has been very helpful thus far. Any other advice is welcomed. I plan on using Cherry wood as has been recommended by many I've talked to. This cook looks to be around 13-14 hours, but we'll see how it goes. Plan on putting it on Friday evening then waking up early Saturday morning to foil wrap it and keep it going until it's ready to go at which point I'll be throwing it in a cooler wrapped in a towel until lunch time around 3pm Saturday.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote