View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
ajacobs

Default Re: Artistry in Titanium Cigar Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
I think there might be a little bit of a mark up on that
I guess everything is relative. Don't you find it hard to explain to people that you basically burn 10 dollar bills with nothing but memories to show for it?

I guess you have to be aware of what goes on in a small machine shop. He has significant time in making these one by one on a lathe. He bills his shop time at $40 bucks an hours. Included in that is not only his pay, insurance, etc but things like electricity, filters for the respirator, wear on really expensive cutting tools etc. Also you have to put away money for things like property taxes, major tool replacement, any any sort of retirement. Plus you have the losses if you make any kind of error and from developing the prototype. Then he adds the cost of materials and shipping. These of course are the realities though of any small volume, high quality production business. Your right though 185 bucks is too steep for many people but if there is a lot a mark up is questionable. Kind of like saying there is a lot of mark up on some of the custom humidors we see here. Both have low raw material costs but are labor intensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
The problem for me is it will dull like any other punch. Something tells me it wouldn't be like Xikar warranty either

Send it in and get a new one
Guaranteed until he retires from making tools. The cutting head is stainless steel and user replaceable.

Last edited by ajacobs; 08-18-2011 at 03:09 PM.