View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #33
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A Beginner's Guide to....Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
Well I am sre this will cause controversy, denial and distain for some but according to Sir Jeremy Bell (http://www.maninaskirt.com/), professional whiskey taster (scotch, works for the Chivas people at this time) NO whiskey is blended to be consumed neat, scotch or bourbon. In the tastings he puts on ( I have been to two) he has you taste straight up and then after adding a teaspoon of water. He then explains how the water releases esters in the liquor which you can see as little lines when you hod it up to the light after the water is added. To my pallet a little water or some ice ALWAYS tates better, he explains that the US is really the only pace people drink whisky this way everywhere else is a with a bit of water. Try it and see what you like better.
Mike
I've been preaching that for years. One jigger of bourbon, scotch, whiskey or whatever and one tablespoon of chilled spring water, swirl and then let sit for a few minutes before enjoying!