View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #3972
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I recently joined SmokingMeatsForum so I can better prepare myself and my UDS. I ran across a thread where a member in Memphis Tenn area is selling 55 gal drums for $5 each.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...rums-5-each/40

Anyway, I did a nice hot burn on my barrel and watch the paint fall off. Yet, when I went to grin off the remaining stuff, it's surprisingly resilient. I spent about 90 minutes and only got the top 1/3 of the inside of the barrel done. The only reason I got that far was I switched from my wire wheel to a 36 grit flapper disc. That seemed to work better but wore out the tip rather quickly leaving it less effective. Now I'm looking for a cheap sandblaster gun/tube setup I can use with my compressor as I'm not looking forward to sanding the bottom 1/3 inside the barrel.

Weird thing is I know the burn was hot, I was shooting compressed air into the intake holes I drilled prior to the burn.