View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #58
Cyanide

Default Re: Smoking Technique

I have found that two things that greatly improve any cigar (and I do mean any cigar....taking even a perfect cigar and changing it into a "I've looked into the eye of God" experience)....

1) the Purge. But, I have modified it slightly, more into a mini-purge. About every three or so draws I will put 3 quick "reverse puffs" through the cigar, even with the ash still in place. Then I let the cigar rest for a minute or so. Doesn't seem to appreciably shorten the burning time of a cigar. But, what it does do is it seems to significantly freshen the flavour of what ever cigar you are smoking. I will still throw in the appropriate full-purge as well, whenever the ash falls off.

2) Rinse and spit. I have been meaning to write a thread on the best way to avoid the possible health risks of cigars while still enjoying them. Well, good intentions sometimes cower before staunch procrastination. But, one of the things one can do to possibly limit the chances of laryngeal cancer (one of the risks that doesn't disappear to near-zero simply by having less than 2 cigars a day and not inhaling....it might have to do with swallowing your smoke-ridden saliva) is to rinse your mouth out regularly with water, remembering to spit the water out. This is the first reason I started doing this. However, I soon realizes that a quick swig of cool water, swish it around the mouth a couple of times and then spit it out....also seems to greatly freshen the flavour coming off your cigar. I do this after each smoke-exhale.

Between the mini purge and the swish and spit, my cigars seem to get to that "sweet spot" and stay there much longer. It may seem like much added work...but give it a try, you may find the benefit so astounding that you become an immediate convert.

But that's just my experience.

Cheers

Cyanide