Thread: NHL 2013 Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NHL '12 - '13 Thread

I'm with you on rekindling the old rivalries. Realignment is needed. Bettman doesn't get it though. I love watching hockey but it is primarily a regional sport. The league had the best product when it was a 21 team league. I doubt they can contract enough to get there, but eliminating two teams would help. 24-28 teams would be ideal. IMO the talent is spread too thin. That doesn't help the owners' position when it's time to negotiate. Guys who can score 25 goals are getting offered deals in the 9 digit range because there's no talent available. The poor wording of the existing CBA concerning long contracts is another reason. Any talent gets locked up for 10 years due to the lower cap hit. Maybe a soft cap like the NBA's is better. Not sure but trying to keep teams alive like the Panthers and the Coyotes look like a no win situation. If the league owns the teams, contract them, have a contraction draft and move on. End result is a better product. Problem is NHLPA won't go for it. Less players = less power/money for them.