Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new grinder arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I've been doing my own roasting (last 9 years with a Fresh Roast), and I have been using a blade grinder for about 20 years. I don't do espresso, so don't need it that fine - normally my press pot or my Bunn.

What exactly is the benefit of a burr grinder? Is there that big of a difference?

To be honest, on my income, I need to have a really, really, good reason to make that jump.
+1 on a burr grinder. 20+ years as well with a blade grinder and fresh roasted beans and the best improvement I ever made to my coffee was a burr grinder. It all comes down to grind size and uniformity vs. extraction time when it comes to what is in your cup. As Pete mentioned some burr grinders are truly espresso only grinders that will make an awful french press but perfect espresso. A blade grinder is just bad for the bean, it smashes them, creates heat, and there is no real control of grind size or evenness of grind. I often wondered why some restaurants coffee was just so much better then drip I could make, it is the burr grinder. I found that out after a few cups with a new burr grinder of my own.

A Baratza reconditioned grinder is a good choice with a very good company.

http://www.baratza.com/refurb.php
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote