Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default Re: new grinder arrived

I think a burr from a blade grinder is a world of difference in terms of consistency of grind.

With 20 years of success with a blade grinder, I would be fool to tell you to change probably though.

I'd imagine there wil be others who will push you harder though.

I am far from an expert, but think for most brewing, I decent burr grinder can be had for under 50 bucks.

I still keep a Krupps burr grinder around for pourover and my wife's drip pot as adjusting the worm drive back and forth on my Macap for different grinds would drive me mad. It is exclusively for espresso and moka pot.

In the case of espresso, it gets a little pointless in trying to grind fine enough without a really good grinder and I hate to say it, but I don't think you're getting anything worthwhile for under $400 bucks, unless you find a good reconditioned one.

As far as stepless, probably not necessary for home grinding, but fun as heck for the OCD types.

That's my experience and I tried to justify half a grand on a grinder and tried my darndest to avoid it with no luck.

I had sporadic luck with my Gaggia MDF, but got to the point where sporadic was taking all the satisfaction out of the experience.

I have found the difference between my Gaggia and my Macap jawdropping.

Last edited by floydpink; 09-07-2009 at 09:23 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote