Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default new grinder arrived

I finally convinced myself to take the big plunge and listen to those who know and get the right grinder for the job.

I went through a denial period where I didn't believe that the grinder is indeed the biggest part of the coffee equation. I now know that to be true and there is no way around it.

The Gaggia MDF is not a bad grinder, and I would probably put it a little below the Rocky in terns of quality. The thing was noisy and the doser was pretty useless though.

After a lot of debate and coming really close to buying the Mazzer Mini, which I have always held in high regard, I decided to go with a stepless grinder to really have the opportunity to tweak settings for certain beans.

I ended up with the Macap M4 stepless and after setting it up and running the fisrt batch, I was amazed at the difference from my old grinder.

I had done some reading and followed the advice to turn it on, find the zero point where the burrs just begin to touch, then go 1.5 number higher. It turned out to be really close.

First impressions of this grinder are;

1. Very commercial in quality.
2. Much queiter than MDF
3. Many more grind settings.