View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #4568
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Cold smoke if you can, Mike. That's keeping the temp under 90F. You dont want to cook them, but just impart a smoke flavor. Then proceed to hang/dry, or put in a dehydrator.
That's a great idea. I didn't think of cold smoking them. I've had an AMNTS for a while and I haven't used it yet. I picked it up for cold smoking but haven't had a chance yet. I also have some venison in the freezer I may want to make into some jerky. I've yet to try my hand at it but if I'm going to use the AMNTS for some cold smoking and likely borrow my BIL's dehydrator it would be a waste not to at least try making some jerky. I think I may do some cheese while I'm at it too. My wife has some of that wax for preserving cheese. Looks like I have plan coming together.

I believe Peter posted some well received jerky recipes. I'll have to do some searching and see what I fine. I don't want to add a lot of sugar if I can help it.