View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #38
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Let's see those '10 gardens

I started my garden the 2nd week im March. Its a 12x12' I added an additional patch thats 2x16' but its more shaded now by my muscadine vine that covers the whole back fence 100' worth and about 12' outward. Pics of that soon. The shaded part hasn't produced much this year due to lack of sun.

But here is a few pics I took today.

Picture of the left side, this is the side facing my house, I had to put up a 3foot fence to keep my dogs out of it. Last year I covered the whole garden (top and sides) with bird neting; but it was more of a pain than it was worth. So this year I used chicken wire.

This is my bush beans. I have two rows of black beans and two rows of green beans. In the background are my burpless cucumbers and a weird type called a pepino cucumber. It looks more like a hairy lemon than anything.

This is a pic facing my house and its the right side of the garden facing inward.

CLose up of my green beans

I used Osmocote plant and vegetable fertilizer early march when I was tilling the soil. The soil is a mix of Cow manure, potting soil and some humus. Started everything from seeds on 4-6" tall rows for good drainage. Then, once the plants became established, I used some 8-8-8 on them before a good rainstorm. They get about 10-15 mins of watering from a timered sprinkler everyday in the evening time, so they don't get burnt by the summer sun. I see so many people watering thier yards/gardens during the day and it ends up being burnt from the sun burning the water left on the plants in the day. Thats why I choose to water at late evening.

I also have about 12-15 pepper plants in pots in my front yard. Yellow banana peppers, bell peppers.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote