Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Adam (TG) can provide a little more about the process, but basically they are onions he smoked for a while that soak up the smokey flavor, then when you cook with them they add that smoke back into the food. I throw them in SV bags or the bottom of the instant pot rather than liquid smoke now and the flavor they provide is fantastic

Looks and sounds like a great recipe Ben.

Keith, it's pretty simple really. I just get a big bag of plain old yellow onions, slice them up lengthwise into wide strips, spread them out on perforated trays and stick them in my pellet smoker on "smoke" until they are dehydrated.

Stir them every hour or so to keep the ones at the edges from burning. Depending on how hot your pellet grill is when it's on smoke, this could take a while. I have a Camp Chef, and it has two smoke settings, one at 165F and one at 225F. The 165F produces more smoke, so the first time I ran them, I used that. It took about 40 hours to dehydrate 10 lbs. This batch was done at the 225F smoke setting and I want to say it took about 14 hours for around 6-7 lbs.

The ones I sent Ben are the ones I pulled out when they were still a bit pliable and wouldn't puncture an SV bag. I have some other ones that I dehydrated until they were completely dry and I use those for blending into sauces, making dressings, grind them in a coffee mill and add them to rubs and dried seasonings.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote