View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #2065
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
...I have yet to taste a thing. ... I want to enjoy the flavors and not just the art of smoking. I can tell that cigars differ from one another, but I certainly can't pick out any flavors.
I had the same issue. Also happened with wine. What really helped in finding different flavors in wine was doing a wine tasting event where they went through the different flavors on the palate. I started picking up hints of flavors in wines afterwards. It still takes time and my palate picks up stuff differently from other folks. Reason why I bring this up is you can do the same with cigars.

To me at least, I pick up the essence of something, not really the fully flavor of it. Things that did help was to actually taste some of the things I was supposed to be picking up. Cocoa, holiday type of spice, pepper both black and white, etc. I mean really smell and taste them. Its a combo between the taste of the smoke on the tongue/palate and also through the nose. I had to learn how to take in the smoke just right. It took practice and I agree that maybe more than 1 a week might help you. I have smoked quite a few cigars with people who have never smoked before and can't remember a single one that could pick up a taste. I am sure it happens but not with me so far.

One thing I always do it make sure I take the time to smell the cigar pre-light to see what I can recognize; barnyard, cocoa, tobacco, cedar, sweetness, etc. Take my time to really enjoy the aroma's the cigar is making. This is part of the mystique and enjoyment to smoking cigars.

I have also found humidity plays a role in this and also what I am drinking at the time. Shoot, what I had for dinner can affect it too.

Anyway, you will get a lot of more educated answers than mine, just sharing the little things I have done.

-C
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote