physiognomy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havanaaddict View Post
… The question I have is if I pick up a pipe if I start with trying Aromatics tobacco in the pipe do I need to stay with Aromatics in that pipe.?
It depends on you and the Aro. Definitely maybe. Some ‘ghosting’ will occur, but can often fade with cleaning or smoking oher blends. If you are ok with that, it’s all good. Honestly, most common Aromatics won’t ring your bell, Mark. Plenty of good recommendations already. Try everything, but I recommend a simple over-the-counter burley (E.g. Carter Hall) to learn pipe smoking - fill/pack, light, tamp, puff, light, tamp, light, puff, light, etc Quickly becomes easy, but some help there is a good idea when starting. Also leave tobacco out to ‘dry’ for an hour or two before smoking (think ‘dry-boxing’).

I find a bowl or two of a Lakeland (medium-stout Virginia and or/burley base with floral topping - yes, think grandma powdery-floral - they are delicious!) will stick for good while and that’s all I taste. Some regular OTC sweet vanilla Aro may fade quickly after a couple bowls of a smoky English/Balkan blend.

As recommended, some folks start with a few cob pipes for this reason. I like them a lot, but find there’s a break in period (any new pipe, really) that can affect initial impressions. Stick with it and try to stop early bowls before the very bottom (burns raw shank inside bowl - normal, tastes ‘woody’) Still, a good way to try different things. Dye the outside black if you don’t want to look like a hillbilly
physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote