View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #82
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T- View Post
should i open the jars ( i placed all tobaccos into there own glass jars)
and let air out... and possibly what is the ideal humidity...

Thanks again! learning so much, so far i guess i'm picking up you can age Pipe tobaccos just as well as cigars, in there own sense,
sure, open the jars every now and then, for the ones you want to smoke that are recently opened. letting them breath is a good thing. i'm not saying leave them open for an hour or two. maybe open them for 5 minutes while you're getting the tobacco out that you want to smoke.

the ideal humidity is up to the smoker. some smoke wetter tobacco than others. some say the ideal humidity is when the tobacco is moist enough for you to still be able to mold it into a ball and for it to spring back. you dn't want it to where you try to bend the tobacco and it breaks like crispy bacon.
some tobaccos, like McClelland broken flakes, need prepping as soon as you open the tin before it dries out and you can't prepare it. some ppl take the tobacco straight out of the tin, throw it into a pip and let 'er rip (some tobacco is ready to smoke straight out of a freshly opened tin, most are not).

yes, you can age tobaccos just like cigars. best to leave the tins sealed if you want to do that, though.