View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #246
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: AJ Fernandez blends

Not a fan of AJF. However, I'm intrigued by how prolific he is and by the variety he produces. So I do keep an eye on what he's got his name on.

Add Pinolero to the list. Better than most of the previous ones listed.

Looking over that list and considering Pinolero, I'm struck by a bit of an anomaly for me. I generally prefer fuller, peppery, strong cigars. However, of the AJF cigars listed, I'd only recommend his milder blends; RP Sig, Park Avenue, Pinolero, Micro TPB-1

Rob, I haven't had the Park Avenue Maduro, but the connie is a very pleasant cigar. Easy draw, creamy smoke - very good for morning smoke and for offering to new BOTL.

As to the discussion about Oliva above, I don't know much about it, but I do think that it is a potentially inaccurate leap to suggest that something made in an Oliva factory should be considered an Oliva product. I believe that nearly all 'new' blenders contract out their production to bigger, established factories until they get big enough to build their own factory. Perdomo, RP, DE, Hansotia, Pete....I believe all started out by having their blends rolled in Oliva, or some other big factories. Or, if not started, then at least moved to moved production to someone else's big factory after small, homegrown production couldn't keep up with demand. It actually gets very very confusing trying to attribute a cigar to someone in particular, since the tobacco may have been grown by Plasencia, blended by AJF, and produced at an Oliva factory.

Last edited by dave; 01-05-2013 at 06:06 AM.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote