DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation
Default Re: DBall's Newb (and not-so-newb) Blind Taste Test #6

AdamJoshua Cigar #1

Thought what the hell might as well get the ball rolling!

Blind #1

Start Time: 3: 25pm
Ending Time: 4: 34pm

13cm x 42rg

Beverage: Water to start and coffee w/ cream and sugar.

Appearance: Dark brown chocolate with reddish highlights and minor veins, size not withstanding it reminds me of a video I caught Dennis watching at a S.H.I.T. herf.

Cut is a straight cut with the old Havana Club spring loaded cutter

Cold draw has an ever so slight hint of almond.

Location outside while listening to Tom Pettry, 72 degrees, 66% humidity its and partly cloudy.

First Third: Right off the bat in your face, again like Dennis' video of choice.

Only 4 draws in and it has mellowed a hair, the snork was a bit harsh the first could of draws and already it has smoothed out and introduced a bit of citrus, with the almond still lingering.

Note: there is something to be said for sitting on he porch, enjoying a cigar and paying attention to each nuance while Tom Petty sings how "It's Good to Be King". Every time I review a cigar I enjoy it that much more, I notice the things that generally roll off my goat palette and every time I say I should pay this attention to every cigar yet I never do. One lesson Klugs taught me was to take little sips, that one stuck and has payed off with this cigar.

Almost to the end of the first third and the cigar has really settled in. A dirty gray ash that holds about 1/2 inch even with lite tapping and a nice sharp burn that has t needed any touching up.

Second Third: Not sure if it's me or the cigar, I went in expecting a lot of cedar and wood, expectations from the wrapper but what I'm getting from the second third is a bit of sourness and I'm going to shoot from the hip and say apricot, which is odd because I can't say I've had one in years, maybe decades but it is the dominant note so far, fear not the almond is still hiding in the shadows with a little cedar.

Well we are about half way through the cigar and I Think it's time to have some coffee to shake things up a bit, I'm always interested in how cigars act with different beverages and foods, for the remaining reviews I thought I would try some cherries with one, maybe milk and dark chocolate with another and so on.

Final third: The coffee has totally changed the cigar profile, the bitterness of the coffee has overshadowed any citrus and really brought out wood and leather.

I took about a five minute break from the stick, just wanted to clear my impressions as the notes were becoming overwhelming, picking it back up no relight needed and to me the cigar did mellow out, the power of suggestion is powerful indeed, that and the addition of coffee, amazing how the cigar changed.

Spice is starting to pick up near the end with a slight tickle on the snork, with cedar / wood and leather really shining through with a salty residue on the lips, feel free to insert a Dennis watching **** on his phone joke here, oh wait I just did.

The last half inch or so had full load ....phrasing....of bitter chocolate, glad I had a nubber handy, sweet, rich and creamy finish.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the volumes of smoke throughout and excellent draw.

There is an unmistakable profile to this cigar, someone with more experience would probably be able to name the marka right away, I'm going to go off script and say there is a 1 in 20 chance this is an RyJ although the the construction and wrapper remind me of an LFdC petite corona, can’t wait to find out what it was!

Thanks again, Dan!

Score: 7/10