View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: How offten do you go from pipes to cigars?

In the 28 years I have been smoking both, there was a time when I smoked about 2 of each a day. Now, my smoking of either has ben reduced to about and average 4 times total a week.

I was on a pipes only kicdk for about 6 years, with only an occasional cigar (1 cigar every 3 months or so). Lately (last 2 years) it has been predominantly cigars, with a pipe once every 3-4 weeks or so.

I enjoy both, and often ask myself why one more than the other.

I love the ritual of getting a pipe ready for smoking, especially as my favorite tobaccos are flakes/kakes.

Cigars are a greater convenience though, if taking smokeables along.

I love to smoke my pipe while fishing, and even in the rain I can do that easily (after you get you burn going, you can smoke your pipe inverted, though I suggest this with straight pipes, and not bent ones. Forget it with a cigar.

With SCHIP coming to town soon, I expect I'll be smoking more of my pipe than my cigars as tobacco is considerably more less expensive per smoke than is a cigar. Even expensive pipe tobacco packed in big pipe is a bargain compared to a cigar. Figure a big pipe takes 5 grams (that's a big pipe), and you paid $20 for 100g tin, that is only $1.00 for a 1.5 -2.0 hour smoke. Compare that to the cost of a decent cigar? My normal cost per pipe is about $0.20 - $0.50 for a 1-2 hour smoke. And what is nice about some of the blends I am smoking, I can go to a pipe that I didn't finish 2 days ago, pick it up, light and purge, and it is as good or better than it was originally. Do that with a cigar.

Anyway, my ramblings have gone on longer than expected. Sorry!

Peace of the Lord be with you.