Thread: Scotch Q&A
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #58
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
After coming across this thread I decided to swing by the Wine and Spirits shop for a bottle of Scotch on the way home from work. I jotted down a few brands and headed out wanting to try something new. Some of the available recommendations were a little pricey so I decided to give the McClelland's Islay a try.

Up until now I have really enjoyed Macallan 12, Glenfiddich, and Glenlivet. While in Vegas for IPCPR I had a sample of Laphroag and didn't care for it at all. I'm not sure what variety I had but it was way over the top with a peaty flavor.

I tried this McClelland's Islay tonight and it has that same peaty flavor, although much more subdued. Is this Peaty flavor profile typical of an Islay? After trying it I decided to read the bottle and saw mentions of peaty flavor due to the water used, which is why I ask.

While I dont enjoy it nearly as much as the others mentioned, it certainly won't go to waste. Sure beats my first experience with Scotch in the form of Johnny Walker Red Label (that made me gag after sipping it).
I hope this helps!

This is a brief description of the flavor profiles most prominent by Region:

Lowlands:
The best have strong suggestions of lemon grass and maltiness.

Highlands:
The Northern Areas offer a spicy character.
The remaining areas of the Highlands offer distinctly fruity flavor profiles.

Speyside:
These are noted in general for their elegance, and flowery, heather-honey nuances, and they sometimes offer a very restrained, fragrant, peatiness.

Islay:
The best have strong notes of peat, hints of saltiness and strong medicinal nuances.

Campbeltown:
The best have a briny, salty flavor profile with restrained peaty & medicinal notes.