Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spatzele noodles?

Never thought I'd see a Spaetzle thread on a cigar board . I used to get Spaetzle at Germandeli.com , great vendor out of Texas . I've seen both Emeril and Wolfgang Puck make Spaetzle and I have both of their recipes . I make it quite often as my daughters absolutely love it with a nice piece of meat and a good gravy . Emerils Recipe is : 3 eggs , 1 cup milk , 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg , kosher salt and white pepper , 3 cups all-purpose flour . in a bowl whisk eggs , milk , salt , pepper and nutmeg . Gradually stir in the flour . (You want it to be thicker then pancake batter) . Let batter rest covered in the fridge for 1 hour . Boil water in a large pot and add salt . Use your Spaetzle maker or large holed colander to press dough through and into the water . When the Spaetzle float they are done , about 5 minutes . W.Pucks recipe is more complex : 4 egg yolks and 1 whole egg , 1-3/4 cups milk , 3 cups flour , 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg , 1 tsp salt , 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper , 1/2 cup peanut oil , 2 ounces unsalted butter . In a small bowl beat together eggs and milk . in a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients . Add the egg mixture to the flour mix and mix with hand until well blended . Let batter rest covered in the fridge for 1 hour . Boil water and add salt to it . Use your Spaetzle maker to add the batter to the water and cook for 4-5 minutes or until they float . Drain the Spaetzle . Add the oil to a large sauté pan and get very hot , add the Spaetzle and sauté until golden brown (I've never done this part) . Season to taste with salt and pepper . Hope this helps and sorry for the long post .
Bubba - NJ is offline   Reply With Quote