View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #805
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templeton View Post
Hello guys,

This will be my first post, I have a few questions all at once. I have been smoking pipe+tobacco since 2003 and just never had any friends that shared my interest.

Welcome and ask away with your questions. I am a pipester since 1980, so I do have a tad bit of experience. Hopefully, some of my comments will help.

1. With a new pipe, what is the process in simple terms, of treating the wood to extend it's life? I have had a few pipes crack from I assume over heating.

I have never treated any of my pipes, they should be ready to go right out of the box. Never had a pipe crack either, and I used to smoke my pipes very hot (I used to smoke cigarettes and needed copious amounts of smoke and huffing heavily, makin a pipe hot, was the only thing that satisfied) Although, pipes need time after each smoke to rest and dry out before you smoke them again. This is why many pipe smokers have a rotation of pipes. I usually let mine air dry 3-5 days before smoking again. Care of the pipe while, and after smoking is import - use pipe cleaners - during the smoke and after.

2. Method of lighting tobacco, match, butane lighter, or zippo? Why? I have always preffered wooden matches, but zippo for ease of use.

A horse apiece. If you don't mind the flavor of a Zippo, go for it. If you use butane, stay away from torches - these can, due to the high temperatures of the flame, indeed burn your briar. Otherwise, it is your own preference. I personally use a soft butane flame or matches.

3. What are some quality pipes that will not break the bank? I have spent anywhere from $20-$200 and been happy with my product. I do not know too much about what the wood was or who the maker of the pipe was.

I personally own Castello (estate Castellos fit that price), Radice, Ascorti, Don Carlos, Tinsky, (my favorites) and then I also have some Savinelli and Stanwells. A couple corn cobs get into the rotation as well. There are many other quality manufacturers out there - these are simply what I have.

I feel amazingly "noob-ish" for the last question, I have good pipes and know what I like. The last time I went out with one of my pipes, a gentleman asked me if my pipe was a ______ and I felt ignorant for truly knkowing nothing about it other than I like it.
By the way, usually the maker of the pipe puts their name on it somewhere. Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.