View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Project of the Day : Black Walnut iPad Cover

Here she is all opened up. I really never use it in this position, but it looks cool.
The corners are held down by four removable corner stoppers. They were hell to make. I used one piece of wood to make all the corner stoppers and the middle layer so that the grain would be continuous.
It was the difference between it looking like a cob job and a nice piece of work.
I'm glad I took all the extra time.

This is just an example of one of the cutouts to get to the control buttons. I had to oversize them so I could get my big fingers in to reach the controls.
I had a lot of concern about how well I'd be able to manipulate the buttons when I was done. It's not a problem at all. I really got lucky there.

The last two pictures are of the grain and look of the front and back. The wood is absolutely gorgeous. I used no stain, just poly. The satin finish hides wear beautifully. I can't see a blemish or a scratch on the whole cover, and I use it constantly. It travels with me everywhere, too.

In this last pic, you can see the brass screws that hold the corner holddowns in place. They can be removed any time I like if I have reason to take the ipad out of the cover. I was a bit concerned how they'd look and hold up over time. They haven't been a problem at all.