View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
MithShrike

Default Re: Yerba Mate, My Experience

OK so, on to preparation.

The traditional manner of preparation is very well summed up in this YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNlV1cQ3I4M

Now there is also the matter of drinking it with your friends. I don't know anyone locally who shares my passion of drinking mate so I can't elucidate much about this. Apparently though, there is a mate server and he or she prepares the mate. They take the first draw because it is stronger and some people think it is too bitter. It is passed around a circle and friends share. Once someone is done they say 'Thank you' and they no longer get any more mate. A good server makes a smooth sipping mate. A good server also encourages his friends not to move the bombilla in the gourd.

French press is great for coffee and mate but I recommend having one specifically dedicated to mate because it is very difficult to clean away the mate taste to use it for coffee. I always use a large French press, like 8 cups or so when making mate. Basically fill the mate to about half a centimeter below the bottom of the plunger. Then make a paste with cool water and the mate. Pour your hot water over this and stir like hell. Let it sit for about three minutes and plunge. The plunger should take all the plant matter down like it does coffee. If it doesn't then you've probably got some mate that's to finely processed to be used well. Normally the styles that are con palo or with stems work best in a French press. You can keep pouring the hot water into the French press until it is no longer flavorful. I like a bit of lemon and honey with my mate when I drink from the French press.

I don't recommend a drip coffee maker. Way too much chance of scalding the mate and making a bitter brew. Yech.

Vacuum coffee makers work so long as the mate is a paste made with cold water first before it is put in the top chamber. I don't recommend it though, you have to change the cloth filters a lot. I haven't tried the glass rod but I imagine there would be issues with that style of vacuum pot.

Cold mate is also called terrere. Traditionally consumed in Paraguay because of the hotter temperature it is often just cold water, mate, and some mint or lemon juice. Very refreshing. A little spin I put on this that is a personal favorite is using the French press to make iced mate. I brew it up like normal and then pour into a large pitcher and refrigerate. You can mix it with different juices. Orange juice is good about half and half. I really like guava nectar though, that combo is incredible.

Some people like sugar, honey, milk, lemon, or mint in their mate. More power to them!

That's all for now folks. Hope that's helpful.