Thread: Problem?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Sheepdog View Post
If you mean single jet butane cigar lighter then yes. But I used the same lighter on all my other pipes (10) without problem. I light the middle not the edges. Still consensus is that I did cause this so I accept that. Sux.
Bill, if I can make a suggestion, get yourself a soft flame butane lighter or even a Zippo. I know many say that the fluid in a Zippo produces a strange flavor that take quite a few puffs to get out, and that may be true, but it does work. Matches are a great thing to use as well. Yes, it takes longer than the single jet, but... Also, just because your single jet flame is in the center of your pipe, there is a large area around that flame (not visible to the naked eye) is actually way hotter than a soft flame. If you do an experiment, you can light something on fire a good 1/2 to a full inch aside from the visible portion of the flame. While lighting a big cigar, my Ronson Jet Lite got so hot by the button I could not use it for a bit.

Briar is funny, for not all briar is equal. It is a natural product, the burl root of the heath plant. Depending on amount of rain, nutrients in the soil, etc... the burl (kind of a huge knot in the root) from which briar pipes are made can be more porous or less, contain more oil or less, may be denser or less, (I think you get the idea). As briar ages, it does dry out some - and this may make it more susceptible to burning like this.

What that means is, that while you may use your single torch flame on 10, only one will be affected adversely. However, it might just be the other way around, 9 of 10.

Sorry it is a sad lesson to learn. Hopefully you can get it restored.