View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Review Reserva Miraflor

A few weeks ago I decided to team up with some fellow countrymen to do a small group buy of the Reserva MiraFlor cigars by GDW (Guillen Diaz Wood) Cigars, a Nicaraguan cigar company from Estreli and they produce Nicaraguan puros. This specific Reserva MiraFlor has an habano oscuro wrapper and it was the first release for GDW, a limited batch of only 1000 cigars. A new batch is already made, 4 times as big as the previous order.

Back to the cigar, I smoked the Churchill, 7 inch long, 48 ring gauge with a dark heavy smell which reminded me of standing close to a wet horse and rich soil. The wrapper is dark (hey, it is oscuro) and has some veins. The feeling of the wrapper is a bit silky.

The first flavors I could taste were coffee and some earthy notes but soon, after about a centimeter a light leather flavor made an appearance while the coffee faded away. When I reach about the halfway point I could taste a little bit of sweetness and soon after that the earthy flavor fades away. A very light creamy flavor shows up at the background which is soon replaced by some chocolate. That happens at about 2/3rd of the cigar. When the chocolate disappears a fresh sour flavor shows up, a bit of a citrus flavor and then the cigar picks up in power. The earthy notes are back again.

The smoke is quite thick. The ash is light grey with some dark spots and it isn’t very strong. The ash is also a bit frayed. The cigar is full flavored and medium to full bodied. This particular cigar was less than 3 months old when I smoked it and it had travelled from Nicaragua to the USA and then to The Netherlands so a bit more rest would do the cigar good. If is a very nice smoke, fresh out of the factory, but I can’t wait to try it with a few years on it.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, no doubt about it. I will buy another box soon and I will let those age for a while. It is a good cigar fresh, but I think it will be much more than good with a few years of age on them.

Construction: 16 / 20
Draw: 16 / 20
Appearance: 14 / 20
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Burn: 18 / 20
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 8 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10