View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Good BBQ'ed steak rub or marinade?

A great rub is: (all are approximate, I have made this so often I just free hand pour the spices into a bowl, but trust me, as long as you are close, you will be fine).

2 tbsp brown suger
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp corriander
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp msg (optional, but makes a big difference)

Multiply this recipe 10x, make is once use it many times. To use, brush steak with olive oil. Then generousy RUB the mixture into the steak, coat that son of a *****. Grill to rare (if you grill past rare, you will have to finish on indirect heat to prevent burning of the sugar, but then again, if you grill past rare, well, dont get me started).

Now the killer, right before taking the steak off the grill, load the steak up with fresh garlic butter (butter+fresh pressed garlic+parsley) and let it melt over the steak, no so much that is runs off the steak, just enough so that when served it is easily spread over the steak. I also sometimes add chipolte and lime to the butter mixture. I gave never served this steak without the dinner table conversation coming to a complete halt so be warned.

You want more, you got it. If you like you steak extra tender, marinade it first in a light lager mixed with papain powder (it is powder from papayas and will eat a steak apart in 24 hours so 2-4 hours is PLENTY -- it can be found at indian markets as meat tenderizer). I prefer it to US tenderizer as it has no salt added so wont bleed the steak). Rub the papain powder into the steak then drizzle with beer (if is almost a dry marinade). The, after 2-4 hours, wash the meat with remainder beer.

Anyway, probably more then anyone wanted to know. My shtick is grilling steaks, I have about 10 goto recipes that work everytime and try new stuff all the time, but this one, this is the best.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote