Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough
Default Miss-Used Cigar Term! STOGIE?

The cigar term, Stogie, has a specific definition. Stogie (or Stogy) is the American nickname for a long, skinny, UN-pressed, cheap cigar that was made in Conestoga, Pennsylvania, the center of native-leaf production in the early nineteenth century. Originally invented about 1826 by a tobacco merchant named George W. Black in Washington, Pennsylvania.

One popular myth says that it was so named because drivers of Conestoga wagons crossing the plains typically smoked them, and they were thought to resemble the spokes on a Conestoga wagon wheel. Today, "Stogie" is a somewhat derogatory term for a cheap cigar.

Last week I found an article online that was written by a self proclaimed cigar person to help new cigar smokers. Not only did the article repeatedly refer to Stogie(s) but the writing style and language was difficult to understand! LINK Please read it for yourself. I'd like to hear your opinion.

IMHO: Calling a premium cigar 'a Stogie' is inappropriate for a knowledgeable cigar enthusiast. I also avoid the term "stick" as an alternate for the word Cigar.

But, that's just my opinion because . . . I'm Stinky!

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote