View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: BOTL from Hawaii please help me

I lived on Oahu for a few years and I wish I still could live there. Only reason we left is my wife wanted to get back to her family after her brother had their first kid. Yes the cost of living is higher, but just like anywhere else, you simply adjust. Make sure you have a Costco membership and shop smart. There are a lot of places that don't need the A/C running all the time, there's a lot of cool breeze that can run through houses/apartments as long as there is good placement of windows and sliding doors.

It sounds like from above nursing isn't a sure thing in Hawaii unless your wife has a lot of experience. One thing I will say is that it's not the easiest for a white guy from the mainland to find a job. The Aloha Spirit is alive and well with great genuine people there, but locals don't take too kindly to mainlanders coming over and taking jobs. Nothing personal, but they would much rather hire a local than a haole that might move back to the mainland in a couple years after getting island fever.

If I were you, I would do some major research on the warm places of the continental US and Hawaii and make your move. Like you said... move now and enjoy the nice weather!

Good luck brother!
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote