View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tequila - Which 2 of these would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I decided to become a Tequila snob for a month and from what I remember, The Casa Noble was the most highly regarded and my personal favorite. I bought a bottle of the silver and really enjoyed it.

I would put the Patron as a close second for it's incredible smoothness but many connoisseurs feel that Patron sacrifices flavor in order to achieve that signatures smoothness.

I found everything they said to be true. The Casa Noble did have the best flavor by far but it was not as smooth as the Patron. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. One downside to the C. Noble, I couldn't drink more than 1 or 2 shots worth without developing a slight headache the next morning.

Another thing I found interesting is that a lot of Tequila snobs actually consider silver tequila as more highly regarded than reposados and anejos. The reason being is that apparently tequila does not benefit from barrel aging in the same way as scotch. Long-term aging in barrels imparts a smoothness to the tequila but results in a significant loss of flavor.
Thanks for the input!

I have been reading a lot about Tequila over the last 4 or 5 days, and I get a similar read on what Tequila Snobs favor. Actually, I am getting the impression that Anejo is the least desired Tequila among true Tequila Snobs. My impression is that the Reposado is the favorite among many with the Silver/Blanco a very close second.