Old 09-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wife asks, 'Why don't you open a cigar shop?'

Note to the Asylum: There is a not-too-distant thread called Starting a brick and mortar. It shoots off on a couple tangents, but I have read the good info there. Mods, if you feel that this thread is redundant, please delete and accept my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
PMS

While researching small business start up info, my wife and I came across some very strong recommendations for SCORE. We haven't requested a member or gone to any meetings/classes yet, but we will. Check them out. Looks like an incredible organization.
Thanks, Dave. That's super helpful. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersong View Post
Most importantly, it gets you access to the IPCPR show each year! =)

Running a successful b&m here in Canada is extremely difficult. Profit per stick is around $1-$1.50ea. That's after your customer shells out $15 on the average stick. It's a tough sell here with zero tolerance for indoor smoking...but people do run successful cigar shops.

Hopefully, the FDA will rethink the definition of a premium cigar. Otherwise, the US market will really start to become like it is in Canada.

If you go for it, make it a unique customer experience.

All the best!
Thank you, Greg. Yikes. That's a hash mark in the 'terrible idea' column. How in the world does anyone compete with online sales when there's not even the draw of smoking in the shops? And on the FDA, you're right of course. However that pans out might make all the difference. And as for making for a unique customer experience, considering the folks who live in my neighborhood, I think a combination cigar shop / barber shop / tattoo parlor would be a hit. But surely there are at least a million laws in NYC against smoking inside tattoo parlors.

My background, however, is in bartending. Perhaps a cigar bar (serves booze) is a better idea than a cigar shop (no booze). Not as unique as haircuts and tattoos, but it's something to consider. On the other hand, serving alcohol probably presents a whole new set of problems. Maybe best to keep it simple and stick with one product--cigars. On the other OTHER hand, all things being equal, I'd prefer to smoke where I can also have a drink if I have the choice.