Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Virginia/Perique (VaPer) Showdown

C & D’s Poplar Camp

I have to admit, when SailorJack (a friend on smokersforum.com) first posted about this blend and wrote to me to ask if I wanted a sample to try in order to review it for the VaPer Showdown I had to scramble and look this blend up. I have to say that this is a VaPer that I had never heard of. And in my opinion it is better than most other VaPers that C & D puts out so I’m not sure why they don’t advertise this one any more than they do.

The blend description is:

Stoved red Virginia is combined with bright Virginia ribbon and restoved. Then red Virginia, Perique and unsweetened black Cavendish are added."

It is basically their blend #457 Yorktown with Perique added.

I think that the main reason that I like this blend by far and away from other C & D VaPers is that it does not have that earthy, peaty smell and taste that a lot of their other blends do. This is surprising to me with as much stoving as goes into this blend. They must be using a different type of Virginia for this one or something but it tastes and smells different from their other offerings. It is similar to the bulk version of Bayou Morning (not the flake) but this one tastes a lot brighter to me.

This blend packs great and is made up of different colored short ribbons I’m assuming that are cut off of a larger flake. Lighting this blend was particularly easy as it was at the right humidity right off the bat. The taste is pretty much the same throughout the bowl which is a plus to me. Too many times the blend goes sour in the last 1/3 and it turns me off. The perique does come in a bit more in the middle and stays put until the end of the bowl. This one is a slow burning one as well. About a medium sized bowl lasted me about an hour.

Overall I was pretty surprised by this blend. For a seldom mentioned VaPer this one is definitely flying below the radar. It is a bit hard to find however. The only place that I see it offered is on the actual C & D website. At this writing there were no online retailers that carry it as far as I can find. However, it is still a good deal from C & D and well worth ordering. I am definitely going to be getting more of this.

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
3) Escudo
4) GL Pease Filmore
5) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
6) H & H AJ’s VaPer
7) Low Country’s Waccamaw
8) Peretti’s Park Square
9) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
10) H & H Rolando’s Own
11) H & H Anniversary Kake
12) G & H Louisiana Flake