View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Favored cigars survey

That completely changes things.....Please disregard my above 'favored cigars'.....

Most purchased in last year? Past 5 years? Ever? Not trying to be an ass, but I will have very different answers depending on how you define the time frame. So, if your exercise is really about data collection and interpretation, you have to be very, very careful how your data call is worded.

And, as I unsuccessfully tried to state regarding NC's.....marca and vitola may or may not get you something useful....not unless every responder interprets question the same.

For example, to me, marca means 'brand' -- e.g., let's simplify greatly.... take Non-Cuban RyJ and Monte. If in the stated time frame I've smoked:

20 RyJ Vintage Churchills
20 Reserva Real Churchills
20 1875 Churchills
20 Reserva Real Churchills

50 Monte Classic (Brown) Churchills

Would your data collection have an expectation that I'd report mostly:

A. RyJ Churchill, or
B. Monte Classic Churchill

So much variety in NC blends within a 'marca', to me, makes this an inaccurate, if not pointless, exercise until the phrasing of the question becomes painfully precise.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick - but, if the exercise is "the input, aggregate and analysis", I think that if any accuracy is expected, you're poised to fail. If just a data handling exercise without regard to results, I'll apologize and shut the front door.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote