Thread: Turkey recipes?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #40
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Turkey recipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
How'd it turn out, Peter?
I'm converted. It was AWESOME. Crispy, delicious, seasoned skin, super moist breast meat. The gravy was one of The best I've ever made. After cutting out the back (serrated knife is WAY easier than shears, btw), I also removed the rib bones. All that went into the giblet stock.

Glad I only brined the bird for 6 hours. The salt level of the gravy was perfect. I didn't need to add anything but pan drippings (allspice berries removed), a bunch of giblet/turkey stock, and corn starch slurry (made with potato water) to thicken it up.

I rubbed the "inside" with kosher salt and pepper. Skin side I did the same, but added some crushed rosemary, rubbed sage, and marjoram. Then threw a few sprigs of fresh sage and rosemary between the wing/breast for aromatics. Also tossed some allspice berries into the bottom of the roasting pan for an added flavor to the drippings. I don't know if it was the rub or the herbs, but the breast had awesome herbal flavor. Probably the rub from the skin. I cut the whole breast filet off the bird, then sliced across the grain so everyone gets skin with the meat.

Wish I would've taken an after picture, but I served dinner an hour behind schedule. I bought a guitar on a whim yesterday, and the guy who delivered it stayed for over an hour instead of the 10 minutes I expected. Didn't know the guy is a recording artist. So we ended up playing for a while. He wants me to put down some backing piano tracks on a record he's working on now. I'm pretty excited about going into the studio. But I digress...

ALMOST all the picky eaters loved it. But my SO saw how much onions go into the stuffing, so she wouldn't touch it. Her loss, and more stuffing for me today