View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fresh start with Scotch/Whiskey and single malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemorestick View Post
my 2cents

Bowmore Islay
The Singleton of Glendullan

Both good starter Scotches and available at Walgreens liquors not sure where else ~$30
I agree with Warren on the Bowmore, but I have yet to try Glendullan.

What you will find is that they are a number of areas or regions where Single Malts are distilled. Each contributes to flavor the product of the region. I'd suggest that you try brands from different regions to see what your palate likes more. I've found that at times I enjoy a lighter, sweeter taste of a Highland or Speyside region scotch. But I most prefer the smoky taste of an Islay malt, but even then there are differences in flavor. One of my favorites, Laphroaig, tastes different in the 10 and 18 year bottlings and while they both have the brief, initial aftertaste of green olive, the 10 year seems to go better with smoking a cigar.

Some of my favorites I have on the shelf, here at home are:
Dalmore 15 (Highland)
Dalmore Cigar Malt (not found anymore in Michigan)
Macallan 10 & 12 (Highland)
Dalwhinnie 15 (Speyside)
Glenlivet 12 (Speyside)
Glenlivet French Oak Reserve 15
Balvenie 12 Speyside
Speyburn 10 (Speyside)
Bowmore 10 or 15 (Islay)
Lagavulin 16 (Islay)
Laphroaig 10 & 18 (Islay)
Isle of Jura 16
Johnnie Walker Gold Label (Blended)
Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Here in Michigan, Costco carries a number of good single malts for very nice prices. I you have a good bar nearby, they may carry at least 2 to 4 brands, so you can do a trial tasting without having to buy a number of bottles that you find you don't like. When trying a scotch, get it served "up" with ice and a bit of water on the side. Most single malt scotch are tasted straight or with a few drops of water to allow the aromas to come out. After that, a little ice or water, as you like.

Enjoy,

Charlie

Last edited by alley00p; 12-28-2010 at 02:43 PM.
alley00p is offline   Reply With Quote