Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Thompson 7 Drawer Humidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlesq View Post
Last year I bought a Lucky 7 Humidor on Craigslist from a local soldier who was shipping out. Told me that he used it to store ISOMs. I asked him if he ever stored anything else in the cabinet and he said no, but I could pick up the distinct smell of cherry vanilla pipe tobacco inside. (Maybe he was embarrased to say he smoked Black & Milds, because that is what it smelled like.) I bought it anyway because he was only asking $40.

Now I like the sweet smell of that kind of tobacco, but not necessarily mixing with my good cigars. Turns out that the drawer bottoms on the Lucky 7 are NOT made of spanish cedar, but rather from some compressed cardboard covered by a thin spanish cedar veneer. (You guys running home tonight to check yours: Just turn the drawer over and the bottom will tell all.) No matter what method I tried, I could not get the odor out. So I cut out the bottom on the top drawer only and put real spanish cedar in its place. Though I planned on converting the rest of the drawers this way, I began using it for box storage and just decided that it worked just as well that way. I use KL, and this model holds 65% humidity really well for long periods of time.

So my only advice on this one is: Don't store infused cigars in it unless that is the permanent plan. And give it a good smell before you buy it.
He is correct on the drawer construction, it is compressed material with a cedar veneer. I was already aware of that, but failed to mention it in my original post, because it hasn't been a problem for me. The resting surface of the drawer IS cedar veneer, and the lining is cedar. I have one small desktop that I use for infused sticks, and it will never be used for anything else!! I think that smell would probably infect ANY humi, regardless!! On the construction not.... Remember, this is just a $99 humidor, so don't expect the solid wood and high end materials you would find in a Waxingmoon humi, or in any other solid wood custom humi. But for the (I think) $60 - on sale- that I paid for mine, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance I have received. And like NinjaVanish, I've had mine at least 7 years.