View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #37
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

Here are the two reviews together.
We seemed to experience different flavors in this stick, but it looks like both enjoyed the flavors that this cigar had, and both of us had wrapper issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
well I just loaded up my photo and it was horrible (not in focus).

I smoked cigar #8 due to my time restrictions on Sunday morning.

Construction: ~4.75x46 (didn't have my gauge with me) brown wrapper with a red tint (sumatra?), no veins and an extreme soft spot in the middle of the stick.

Pre-Light Draw: I don't drink coffee but this had the same smell as freshly ground & roasted coffee beans, which is enjoyable.

Initial Draw: Little sweetness. If the wrapper was splotchy I'd guess that it was a sungrown, but it doesn't lend itself to that. Has a very interesting taste of wood that has just been cut and sanded, you know how it has a sweet smell to it.

First Third: Slight bitter through the nose, copious amount of smoke on each draw, dry wood flavor overwhelming -- then the burn issues start. Within 10 minutes it goes out twice. Then the draw becomes extremely loose.

After the 2nd re-light I was just working on trying to keep it lit. Didn't work. After it went out the 3rd time I tossed it. I was very disappointed as the first third had me interested in what it had to offer. The taste was good but unfortunately the construction killed it.

Pre-burn out - would have paid $4/5 stick
Post burn out - would pay $1-2/stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Cigar #8

Construction: 5x50 medium/dark brown wrapper, solid, two rough veins on this stick

Pre-Light: smooth draw, cedar and mildewy citrus flavors

1st Third: Harsh on the tongue upon lighting. A slight citrusy flavor with heavy cedar flavors are detectable. Coffee with cream flavor starts to kick in. Wrapper issues plague this cigar from the start; it's not wanting to stay lit.

2nd Third: I'm getting a slight Padron flavor: coffee with a mix of pepper and nutmeg. Wrapper issues persist.

Final Third: Pepper, sweet, coffee, and nutty flavors all at once on the finish. Wrapper issues still are a problem. I had to re-light this cigar every five minutes or so.

Final Thoughts: Other than the wrapper issues, this was an excellent cigar. Maybe some more rest or dry-boxing for a while would solve the wrapper issues.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote