View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
whodeeni

Cool Mario Golbee's BTT Review Thread #2

A couple of months ago I received an additional 5er from Big Bro "MarioGolbee"
to do a set of blind reviews. This is #2 from that group.

Robusto 5X50

Drink: Guiness Foreign Extra Stout

Appearance & Construction: This cigar has a very dark chocolate wrapper. It's splotchy, toothy, and has small veins showing all over it. There are no soft spots and it's kind of hard in certain spots. The foot is underfilled and I can see "A Leopard's Smiling Face" in the swirls of tobacco.

Prelight Draw: I punched the cap and got oatmeal, cardboard, and very light pepper. This is a crazy start to a cigar! I smelled the foot and got the smell of hay and spice. I sniffed the wrapper and clean tobacco comes to mind

1st 3rd: I lit the foot and got a blast of pepper, rich tobacco and leather. The ash is white and splintered at the half inch mark due to being underfilled.
The smoke is abundant and what started as a long dry finish has actually become quite oily. (Not too familiar with the finish changing like this.) I took a sip of Guiness, took another pull and noticed chocolate notes from the smoke. (I began wondering is it the beer or the cigar?!?) In my opinion this
is a medium bodied stick with full flavors, it's consistent, but not overly complex. I pray that this is not a 601 green because if so, it definitely can
stand some aging.

2nd 3rd: I taste leather and spice, but my mouth is dry and feels like a piece of leather. The retrohale gives me a strong blast of pepper, accompanied by dark chocolate, and espresso. Won't be doing that again! *lol* Even though it's uneven, the burn line is very sharp!

Final 3rd: Leather, spice, cedar, and grass comes through right now. The introduction of cedar is welcome as the flavor of the cigar has improved greatly.

Final thoughts this cigar has some good qualities, but is a little too green
definitely would improve with age.

Thanks Mario!