Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #45
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Cliff, I have a mosquito zapper machine that kills all sorts of flying critters that invade the garden. It works incredibly well. I'll try to find a link...
Here it is.
It's a Mega-Catch. It helps to stop the cycle by whacking parents before they lay eggs.
Aside from that, Liquid Sevin works charms. I mix it 1/4 strength and use the backpack sprayer. I do it every other week or as needed, as minimally as possible. It's as decent a pest control system as I've ever used and it's very safe.
You absolutely MUST be proactive to control bugs. Once they have a foothold, you're out of luck. Same goes with fungus. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You already called it, too. This year is going to be sheer hell. Without a proactive plan in place, it'll all be over before I get started.
Thanks for the link, Scott. Sevin has been one of my "go-to" sprays in the past. I used to use the powder, but never could get good coverage. Tomatoes, last year, had aphid issues, and I had trouble finding just plain old "soap" insecticide, so I made my own with soapy, greasy dishwater. That seemed to do better than other store-brought items. I have to admit that squash and zucchini vines are my Achilles heel. I just cannot seem to keep them sprayed enough to avoid the stupid wasps and their off-spring worms. I had less issue last year with wasps stings on my peas, but that is also an issue. And I don't know if Sevin will even effect these wasps, since they basically contact the vines/pods with their stinger areas.

The zapper may be worth a look, but at the prices quoted, i can buy lots of Sevin! Probably going to live through it and adjust my insecticides as needed.