View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #47
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingo View Post
Here's two very basic questions I'm surprised hasn't been asked in this thread:

-Cutters. Does using a basic guillotine cutter vs. a more expensive scissor-type cutter make any noticeable difference?

-Lighters. Is there anything horrible about regular Bic lighters that would warrant a $50+ jet flame lighter?

Thanks!
A lot of what cutter & lighter to use does boil down to personal preference. A couple of things to compare when trying to decide might help though.

Cutters:
The "action" is a huge personal choice. Double guillotine, single guillotine, punch, scissors, hybrid scissors (ie Xikar, SAK, Revoluccion scissors, etc...)

You mention the cheap plastic cutters. I would not recommend the single bladed guillotine cutters as they tend to crush the cigar rather than cut it. Some of the "cheap" double guillotine cutters work well for a short period of time but due to the cheap blade, they dull & break quickly.

I use a variety of cutters depending on the cigar and just to keep it interesting (i use a punch for smaller ring gauges and scissors & double guillotines for larger ring gauges but also use my finger nail "cuban style" in a pinch)

These are the typical top choices for a quality cutter are:
Palio (double guillotine w/ life time warranty)
Xikar (hybrid scissors w/ life time warranty)
Cuban Crafters scissors (standard scissors w/ life time warranty)
Wenger SAk w/ cigar cutter (hybrid scissors, 5 year warranty?)
Xikar Punch (punch cutter w/ life time warranty)

Lighters are all over the place and style of the body and flame type (torch, soft flame butane, matches, wind proof, etc...) play the biggest part in choosing.

Be careful in whatever flame you choose that it doesn't contain sulfur that will impart a horrible flavor in your cigar (typical w/ cheap lighters and most matches - get sulfur free matches).

For fun, try a cedar splint. It's about the most "pure" way to light a cigar, plus it's not typical which makes it fun.

These are the typical top choices for a quality cutter are:
Blazer PB-207 (large tank and very reliable)
Xikar (various flame choices all w/ life time warranty)
Solo Trek (dual flame w/ life time warranty even 50% of MSRP against theft or loss)
ST Dupont X-tend
Evertech (soft flame and torch butane flames in one)
Bugatti 1 (this is about the nicest lighter that I've ever used)
Porsche Designs
Nibo dual flames (cheap throw aways but tend to last a long time and you don't care if you lose them)
Sulfur free matches

Just some of what I've experienced over the past 16+ years of smoking cigars. Part of the "fun" of the hobby to me is learning this stuff along the way so try all the styles out to see what you like the most.

I hope this helps

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote