Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Charcoal Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
You can do what you want with the fluid. The prices are still the same for the coal. I don't know if these are good prices or not but I figured I'd say something since you guys were mentioning the brand. I just got started grilling again after years of not doing it. My first few bags were quick light and then I bought a chimney. I like the chimney.

Maybe you'll teach me how to do some smokin' Adam.
16lbs for $5.97 is about $0.37/lb. I don't know if RO briqs are any good or not, or what wood it is made from and were the wood comes from, as I've never used them, but the price per lb is equal to what KF blue goes for at Sam's club (they sell 2x20lbs for $14.99).

The Home Depot sale price of $9.97 for 2x20lbs is $0.25/lb, which is as cheap as KF blue ever gets; actually, it's below cost.

Typically KF blue goes for about $0.40/lb give or take a few cents.

One thing about KF - it might not be the hottest or longest burning, but it's probably the most reliable and predictable briquette out there. Year after year, bag after bag, always the same (unless they tweak the formula, which I've seen them do twice in the last 15-20 years). Unlike some of the other brands where they change from year to year, or even lot to lot, due to spot market buys of wood for their briquettes, and sometimes even changing factories. One of the keys to good Q is consistency, and when your fuel is all over the map for how it burns, it's very hard to be consistent.

Teach you how to smoke food, sure. Just so you know though, in 15-20 minutes I can tell you what you need to know to get started, after that, it's just a lot of practice and the experimentation that will naturally come with it.

Last edited by T.G; 09-03-2010 at 09:50 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote