First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One more Pu Erh thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickster81 View Post
Thanks Tony,
I keep reading reviews about cooked Pu being "earthy" "barnyard" "composted manure" etc.....kinda makes me want to steer clear, I don't mind earthy, but barnyard? And I grew up around the mushroom growing/canning business, so I know how compost is made, and judging by the descriptions of "wet piling" it is the same process....accelerated deterioration.

I will likely still get a small tuo, just for the sake of trying it and tasting for myself.

Anyhow, now I have slid down another slope. I'm hoping to get to Windsor, Ontario, Canada before Christmas and check out some of the shops there, they have a small Chinatown, so maybe I will find some samples there to evaluate.
Do yourself a favor and stay far far away from cooked Pu-erhs. Pushing the aging process with cooking destroys many of the qualities I enjoy in this tea. There are so many well aged, well cared for Pu-erhs that are very reasonable that it doesn't really make sense to drink an artifically aged tea.

If a Pu-erh tastes "barnyard" "farmy" or "fishy" you either have a very young Pu-erh, or a poorly stored/processed tea. For me, it's unbearable...I just can't drink it. Talk with the owner of Jas...have him set you up a nicely aged selection of Pu-erh samples and get a gist of what formulas you like. Stay away from bricks, and only buy beengs. Most of my Pu-erh collection is being aged as beengs. And you are right this is just one more slippery slope. Pu-erh teas can bring a hefty price with 20-30 years age. It is indeed a consummable commodity and a wonderful hobby.