Brand: CAO
Name: MX2
Size: Robusto 5 x 52
Origin: Honduras
Wrapper: Connecticut (Maduro)
Binder: Brazil (Maduro)
Filler: Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominican Rep. & Peru

The Look, Touch and Smell
This cigar truly lives its name … Double Maduro. Very dark, a tight oily wrapper and no soft or hard spots. It’s a beast to see, especially with the fat band around its neck. The smell is of heavy dark soils.

Look at that thing!

Cut & Light
No problems cutting and lighting. Because of the MX2’s appearance, I had expected a beating to the head after the first couple of puffs. If you’re a softy like myself … not to worry; the spice is very modest and the light cedar wood tones are suitable. There is a dry soil flavour accompanied by some sweetness. Already, this early! Having said that, I do not find the flavours to be ‘one’ yet. They are not harsh but not smooth either.

At the halfway point, all flavours turn darker and the sweetness turns into a typical maduro palate. Raisins might be the right word. This combines with the earlier named cedar wood tones and becomes creamy. This holds for a while until the ends is nearing. A certain bitterness comes forward. This is just like the spice, very suitable for the smoke itself but they do not entirely fit my ‘enjoymental palate’. I have to stay unbiased, so I respect the palate for what it is for those who appreciate a bitterness.

Conclusion
A tough cigar to see and to be seen. The ash is dark grey with little black chunks and holds about 1.25 Inches. The draw is fine and there is lots of smoke. Looking at the burn from the halfway point on … cross eyed situation and needed to correct a couple of times. The flavours were enjoyable cedar wood, soil and typical maduro sweetness with a suitable spice and bitterness. If this is your kinda palate, you definitely should try this beast of a cigar ... sometime soon!

Last edited by AmsterDan; 06-16-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Caption to picture.
AmsterDan is offline   Reply With Quote