Thread: Traeger or ?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Traeger or ?

When it comes to pellet smokers/grills there is really no other choice than one between Rec-Tec and Yoder. The only "knock" on Rec-Tec is that save for the electronics its made in China (and so is that Apple product you may have, right?), although the quality is superb by any measure (Apple anyone?). Yoder is all USA made, more expensive, and may last forever due to heavier gauge metal used throughout. Electronics on both are on par and beyond reproach, best in business and made in USA by a high end shop.

For me Rec-Tec is the better buy, I was a bit annoyed with Yoder sales guys "failing" to specify that their best "sales voice", a well known smokers/grills blogger, was provided with a free model worth >$2,300 to post a "review". I had to put 2 and 2 together and ask them point blank, otherwise one would not know. Hate buying anything made in China, but in this case Rec-Tec won out when all was said and done, same performance, better pricing, no negative reviews at all, and great customer service from a company that started in a garage. If you order direct (not through Amazon) you will pay same price, but they tend to throw in some freebies (40lb of pellets, smoker tube for applying smoke while grilling, grill mats, etc.), at least try to "suggest" to them your decision may be more favorable if you they can "sweeten" the deal. Any freebie helps at that price. By the time I priced Rec-Tec and similar size model from Yoder, plus shipping and all, Yoder turned out close to double the price of Rec-Tec. China or not, that was the deal breaker for me and Yoder sales guy's BS did not play out well, either. Your mileage may vary, of course.

See Rec-Tec videos on YouTube, the thing is really good. Yes, you can sear a steak, as you can do on Yoder as well. Both can do anything you want.

Green Mountain smokers are good, but a step below both Rec-Tec and Yoder, and definitely a step below on electronics. Main reason they were "disqualified" for me right away, as were others, temp stability is key while smoking food. Same for Traeger and others. Traeger quality is near the bottom when it comes to pellet smokers, have no idea why Costco carries them when they usually select top shelf products.

I'll throw out another option that is used by a number of commercial places lately. I also have an older Cookshack electric smoker, USA made, smallest one, but good enough for up to 30-35 pounds of food. The thing is rock solid, set it and forget it type of thing, in any weather (insulated better than a fridge and cooks in bitter winter temps), took me a bit of time to start using more wood (thanks to T.G. critique) as I was at first afraid to "oversmoke" food, but since using more wood have had great results, and this includes fish as well (salmon, mackerel, etc). But mention "electric" to food smokers' crowd and you are the devil incarnate. I see same unit as mine used in restaurants these days, though, in some Food Channel/Travel Channel shows. If you only want to smoke food and not grill, this may be the way to go, mine is more than 10 years old now and works as well as when new. Plug it in, stick the food in, set the temp and walk away, no need to do anything else. Roughly 30 minutes per pound of food plus 15 minutes for the unit to get up to preset temp. Super easy.

But for pellets, Rec-Tec or Yoder, don't waste money on anything else.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote