Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Best Recipe Sources

I've found good recipes in all forms of publication, books, magazines, newspapers, online, TV and spoken word. I've also found a lot of garbage, and as can be expected, a lot of duplication on the internet sources.

Books and magazines tend to be more filtered, as unlike the internet, where anyone can publish anything that they might want to believe is edible, books and magazines are usually well revised, filtered and checked so that very little "junk" ends up in them, along with a much lower incidence of duplications and plagiarism. I've found that newspapers are even more filtered than books and magazines because they only have the room to run a few recipes. Some of the stuff from restaurant chefs that I've found in NY Times and LA Times food sections is just phenomenal.

One thing wonderful about some books and many TV shows is that they also show a technique, something that doesn't often make it into internet recipes.

When dealing with the internet, because it's so easy to bring up dozens of variants on a dish in mere seconds and have them all in front of me at once, I tend to look at quite a few of them for that particular dish and evaluate them in my head versus each other and often times, I end up combining parts or components of various recipes along with my own twists to come up with the final product.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote