Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
So im in the market for a new smoker and want to spend less than 200$. Ive had what i think was a big green egg that really did not do a good job, and a vertical smoker that i think was made by chargrill that was ok. Im thinking of moving to a regular grill with a smoke basket on the side but it seems like the temp would be an issue and i would have to add a lot of charcoal to the main body, any suggestions?
I'll ditto Pete on the Chargriller. That's a picture of one in my avatar and I've been using it for almost 10 years. I can maintain 180-200 by using wood or charcoal in the side box but it does require watching. I did burn the paint off the top of the smoke box after a few years and had to spraypaint with high temp paint. Also had to replace the thermometer last year. The only thing I've ever been displeased with is the custom fit cover. I bought two which each only lasted 1 year before falling apart. Now I just cover it with a tarp.
Also as a grill it's top notch. Tall enough for beer can chicken and big enough to cook for a crowd. You can also use the side box for additional grilling space.
Amazing value IMO.