View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #83
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Cigar #7

Construction: 6.5 x 50 torpedo, dark brown wrapper

Pre-Light Draw: Not much flavor detectable

First Third: The first inch was horrid. Bitterness and ammonia is strong. I was tempted to put this stick down, but I figured I would struggle through so I can give it a full review. Ammonia settled down and was replaced by leathery and earthy flavors. I'm not a big fan of earthy flavor, but at least it wasn't ammonia.

Second Third: Very earthy still, but some sweetness is mixed in as well. The sweetness is almost like a Smores bar. Marshmallow and chocolate are detectable. This cigar isn't bad anymore.

Final Third: Marshmallow and chocolate dissapear and the earthy/leatheriness is the only flavor detectable.

Final Thoughts: Although the first third was horrible, the rest of the cigar wasn't bad. I'm not a fan of earthiness, but I did enjoy the marshmallow and chocolate pairing in the second third. Would I smoke this cigar again? No offense meant, but probably not.

EDIT: I would guess that this is the second Gurkha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
Smoked my last 2 this weekend.........

#7 (torp)

pre-draw - air, too much, lose draw. Slight tobacco

Initial light: Easy to take hold of the fire, copious amounts of smoke. I get (yes, I'm serious here) the after taste of fruity pebbles cereal. (blech) chalky/sweet

First third - burn is straight, ash is average, very average cigar taste - I actually told my wife as I started this "it's almost like when you first light up a pipe and aren't getting the taste yet - just tobacco" I think the draw was just too loose for my palate's liking.

Second third - for me this was a one dimensional stick, as far as taste goes. "cigar" My wife said that it didn't have much of an aroma either. She is probably a better indicator on the aroma side of my reviews - she often sits with me or goes on walks with me while I smoke and tells me what she thinks (good and bad).

Last third - the stick just isn't eventful. Its fair, and every third/fourth draw I get a pleasant citrusy taste but it never stays. Never had any issues with burn as it stayed straight. The draw stayed too loose for my liking but I would have to have a couple more to see if it was that single stick or something with the make-up of the line.

For me this was barely average which I wouldn't spend more that $3-4 on.
Other than the uneventfulness, it seems almost as if we smoked two different cigars.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote