View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #4417
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Is it actually legal to just add a long flash hider to a short barrel? Regs I read a while back said this is a no-no, even welded on is not OK.....I was under the impression rifles had to have over 16.00" of rifled barrel to be legal for civilians (non class 3). Does someone have legit info to confirm otherwise? I would love to get a 14.5.....
here you go: second page, 2.1.3 Rifle: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...-chapter-2.pdf

Quote:
The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured.