View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #466
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: What are you roasting today?

I placed a sampler order from Theta Ridge today, I will keep everybody posted as to how it goes. Their prices are much, much less than SM. I intend to find a good sample and purchase a 10lb order of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Has anyone ever re-roasted as in a batch was lighter than you desired and wanted to go darker after tasting how it turned out?
A couple answers from Ashtonladies link:

"Once coffee beans have cooked and cooled, they can't be cooked more. Roasting temperature profiles and sequences make a big difference in how the coffee ultimately tastes. Sorry."

"I've read at COFFEEGEEK.COM that it's a method practised regularly by the Swiss and it gives the coffee a different character."

"No, you cannot roast beans a second time and expect the oils to be their best. If oil is on the surface of the bean, i would assume a scorching effect. Never done it though; so I'm just assuming.

"What I would do is put the beans away for a week; this should make the coffee a little bit stronger. I would also use a french press then too- much better flavor intensity."

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 04-02-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote