Thread: Bacon Jam
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Bacon Jam

This isn't my recipe, so I can't take credit for it. I am however tweaking it a bit to make it my own. It's currently simmering away on the stove and should be done in about an hour.

Bacon Jam
1lb bacon
1 large onion, thinly sliced
5-7 cloves of garlic, smashed
1c strong black coffee
1/4c maple syrup
1/4c apple cider vinegar
3tbsp brown sugar
2tbsp srirach (or your favorite hot sauce)
1/4tsp smoked paprika
1tsp balsamic vinegar

Cook bacon over medium heat until just about starting to crisp up. Remove, drain and cool. Drain off most of the rendered fat (save for other uses) and add the onion and garlic. Sweat over medium heat until translucent, about 10-12 minutes. While onions/garlic are cooking, cut cooled bacon into 1" pieces. When onions are ready, add bacon, coffee, maple syrup, cider vinegar, brown sugar and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Continue cooking at a simmer for 3-4 hours until bacon/onions are indistinguisable from each other and has a jam like consistency. Scoop contents into a food processor and process until smooth, leaving a little bit of chunks. Cool in fridge for an 1-2 hours. Skim off fat from top, add paprika and balsamic vinegar, stir to combine.

Use for spreads on sandwiches, crackers, or eat right out of the jar.

The original recipe calls for red wine vinegar instead of the balsamic at the end. I have some really nice balsamic on hand and want to see how that works.